Unruly Writing

Unruly Writing


The book is becoming unruly again

like my hair in kindergarten, or the other

day on the boat deck. 


I sit down to write through

the edits of my friends meticulously as a student

working through her exercises.


Yet out comes this rebellion

hellbent on building some spiral staircase, 

rapid fire out it comes: one step

explanation, two more

analysis, next 

memory, then 

scene, the bottom

or the top step

thought. 


An hour later I am like 

a surgeon, suture in hand

with a clear gaping between

all that was torn open

all that was unearthed

confronted with the miserable fact

that yet again I am unsure 

as to where to first

stab the needle. 

Let's Connect on Instagram

Coffee Button

Send Sarah Emma Ruth $5 for coffee via Venmo

Popular Posts from this Blog

The Stand Still (a Mary Oliver Copy Change)

I LOVE A POET

READ YOUR TEACHERS’ WORK

Copy Change I Hear America Singing by Walt Whitman

Hello, Bee