Goddamnit

An homage to Edith, a collection of poems written by Meg Freitag

 Goddamnit


I finished Edith

and now all that’s left 

is this


an unwritten list

of all the words Meg 

Freitag knows and I don’t. 

Like what’s Friday in German 

according to a guy the wrong age

to work at the used bookstore

where you weren’t. 

You’d never be! 


I’ve been used by this book,

Edith. You’ve undressed

all parts of me. I am just

another small, round fruit 

you’ve picked at, entirely. 


When I say bird feathers

stick in the mouth, what I mean is


from now on

what I  put on the page

Edith, is puppy dog shit,

You know?

It’s got you baked in

and there is no going back. 


Let's Connect on Instagram

Coffee Button

Send Sarah Emma Ruth $5 for coffee via Venmo

Popular Posts from this Blog

Horseman

Tree-Ache (unfinished)

Summer’s Callin

The Stand Still (a Mary Oliver Copy Change)